Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Strange World of You Tube

Recently, I replaced my cell phone for one that offers unlimited access to You Tube.

I always thought You Tube was for people who got drunk and found the need to try something new that they hadn't done before and to express this in video (not unlike a text blog, but with live action).

What suprised me about You Tube is the amount of clips on there from the entertainment and academic worlds.

On the academic front, I've accessed lectures from Steven Pinker and hope to try Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens (and others);

On the entertainment front, I've found stuff on:

The Smothers Brothers
Groucho Marx
Gilbert Gottfried
Norm MacDonald
Jack Paar (who seems much more interesting than Johnny Carson as a Tonight Show host)
Politically Incorrect
Letterman
Dick Cavette
Steve Allen
Jimmy Durante

Also, favourite musicians are there too (Bob Dylan, Scott Merritt etc).

Finding the old classic entertainment stuff was a surprise to me, I thought this stuff was copyrighted...

Anyone reading this blog probably knows all this and thinks I spend my time under a rock or the personification of Forest Gump or something, but not all of us appreciate the potential of social networks this way.

1 comment:

Marcos said...

Hey, congrats on returning to the world of adults. You've been watching "Mighty Machines" for too long!